So … last Monday at midnight I said goodbye to sugar. I also decided to switch back to a solely vegetarian diet (during the festive period I seemed to eat more meat than I had done in the whole year) and reduce my dairy food intake.
I would like to say this week has been plain sailing for me. It hasn’t. Not eating meat / fish has not been an issue at all. However, the sugar withdrawal has been a different story. The first day was easy and lulled me in to a false sense of security. Days 2 and 3 delivered a constant headache – initially eased by increasing my water intake but this relief was only short lived. I awoke on day 4 headache free, ‘Yay!’ As the day progressed, I presumed all toxins were flushed out and sugar impact gone. Wrong. With the evening came a migraine that sent me to my bed. Day 5 – the cravings really hit. Sugar laden goodies were calling , no, shouting to me. Two choices – give in and then be cross with myself – or, distract myself and keep going. I chose the second option. Day 6 – no headaches and no cravings. Day 7 – all good.
Was the week worth it?
- I am sleeping better
- I am not waking up with heartburn
- I’m eating nutrition dense not calorie dense food
- no more sugar lows and sugar highs
- I’m enjoying creating different flavours and cooking again – feel I have my mojo back
- I feel full after I have eaten
- I don’t want any of the chocolates, biscuits and cake that are in the house – not being smug- just not interested in them
- perfected a speedy cashew Bechamel sauce! One step closer to a vegan diet.
- (… I’ve lost 2 kg)