So … last Monday at midnight I said goodbye to sugar. I also decided to switch back to a solely vegetarian diet (during the festive period I seemed to eat more meat than I had done in the whole year) and reduce my dairy food intake.
I would like to say this week has been plain sailing for me. It hasn’t. Not eating meat / fish has not been an issue at all. However, the sugar withdrawal has been a different story. The first day was easy and lulled me in to a false sense of security. Days 2 and 3 delivered a constant headache – initially eased by increasing my water intake but this relief was only short lived. I awoke on day 4 headache free, ‘Yay!’ As the day progressed, I presumed all toxins were flushed out and sugar impact gone. Wrong. With the evening came a migraine that sent me to my bed. Day 5 – the cravings really hit. Sugar laden goodies were calling , no, shouting to me. Two choices – give in and then be cross with myself – or, distract myself and keep going. I chose the second option. Day 6 – no headaches and no cravings. Day 7 – all good.
Was the week worth it?
- I am sleeping better
- I am not waking up with heartburn
- I’m eating nutrition dense not calorie dense food
- no more sugar lows and sugar highs
- I’m enjoying creating different flavours and cooking again – feel I have my mojo back
- I feel full after I have eaten
- I don’t want any of the chocolates, biscuits and cake that are in the house – not being smug- just not interested in them
- perfected a speedy cashew Bechamel sauce! One step closer to a vegan diet.
- (… I’ve lost 2 kg)
4 thoughts on “A long week”
Well done, Jo, no more chocolate for me either from today. Can you please post your speedy cashew bechamel recipe? It sounds delicious! xx
LikeLiked by 1 person
Good luck with your chocolate free world😊 . Will post recipe tomorrow ☺
Looking forward to watching your progress and marveling at your willpower! It’s inspiring to read your list of why it’s so worth making the changes !
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you. Now the sugar cravings have gone I am finding it relatively easy. First few days were tough but I am determined to not let sugar dictate to me.😊